|Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus (EFR32MG21) with router firmware
How to create a SONOFF ZBDongle-E Router
You can create a powerful Zigbee router from an ordinary Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus (Model "ZBDongle-E" with EFR32MG21 chip) by flashing a router firmware onto the device. You can find the official guide for flashing the device here: SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB dongle plus firmware flashing. The guide also contains the link to the official SONOFF Router Firmware for the ZBDongle-E.
The guide from SONOFF is not very detailed. Here are some additional hints:
- First, you have to disassemble the device and pull the logic board out of its housing. You need a J00 Phillips screwdriver for this.
- Second, you need a software supporting the XMODEM file transfer protocol for sending the firmware image to the device. On Debian Linux like Ubuntu you can use lrzsz,
install XMODEM transfer protocol and terminal emulator Putty with
sudo apt install lrzsz putty
user needs to be in dialout group in order to access serial ports
sudo adduser $USER dialout
log in and out so that group membership comes into effect
- Third, you must operate on the naked logic board while it is plugged in. This is a lot easier if you use a USB extension cable.
- Forth, to enter the Bootloader Mode, you have to
Plug the device in
Connect to the device with the serial software (for serial connection parameters, see guide)
putty -serial -sercfg 115200,8,n,1 /dev/ttyACM0
Press and hold the "BOOT" button (upper button in the lower right corner next to the USB plug in the photo below)
and then press the "RST." button (lower button in the lower right corner next to the USB plug in the photo below) to restart the device
- Fifth, to upload the file, in the bootloader terminal press '1' to initiate the upload
Open another terminal on the host system to send the file through XMODEM
sx Z3RouterUSBDonlge_EZNet6.10.3_V1.0.0.gbl < /dev/ttyACM0 > /dev/ttyACM0
Wait for 'Serial upload complete', then press '2' in the Bootloader Terminal to restart the dongle.
- Finally, the dongle LED blinks green, inidicating it is in paring mode. Pair as usual with Z2M.
Brightness of the indicator light. Value can be found in the published state on the
light_indicator_level property. It's not possible to read (
/get) or write (
/set) this value.
Link quality (signal strength). Value can be found in the published state on the
linkquality property. It's not possible to read (
/get) or write (
/set) this value. The minimal value is
0 and the maximum value is
255. The unit of this value is